Rīga Stradiņš University – (RSU)
Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) is a publicly-funded leading institution of medical education in northeast Europe. It is located in Riga, the capital city of Latvia, which is conveniently connected to most European countries, South Asia and other parts of the world.
In 2004 Latvia joined the European Union (EU)*, thus granting Latvian institutions of higher education the right to award European degrees that are fully recognized in other EU member states, as well as Norway and Switzerland. This privilege does not apply to many East European universities that are not based within the European Union.
Besides the European diploma, there are many other advantages of studying at RSU. Latvia is part of the Schengen zone**, therefore, our international students enjoy visa-free travel to other parts of Europe. Air travel is easy. From Riga, it takes only an hour to travel to Stockholm in Sweden, two hours to reach Berlin in Germany, and three hours to major cities in the United Kingdom.
As a full-time university student in a European Union member state, you will be able to participate in the Erasmus+ mobility program that provides students with opportunities to spend a semester or a year at our partner institutions in Europe. We currently have signed more than 150 partnership agreements.
RSU provides a Western style learning environment with the most up-to-date medical technologies and training facilities. Students have the opportunity to study under the excellent guidance of experienced academics and medical professionals. The program in medicine, taught entirely in English, successfully balances in-depth theoretical knowledge with patient-centered clinical training. Students study in small groups. The teacher-student ratio is 1:10. Upon the completion of their studies, graduates earn an M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) degree. The knowledge and skills that students acquire during their studies assure them a competitive edge both in Europe and globally.
Our experience in educating international students spans 25 years. Our diverse student body comes from Germany, Sweden, Norway, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Sri Lanka, India, Uzbekistan and many other countries.
RSU has worked with Sri Lankan students since 1996. Our graduates from Sri Lanka have become highly accomplished medical professionals around the world. To support our students, we offer considerable tuition discounts to Sri Lankan nationals.
WHY STUDY AT RĪGA STRADIŅŠ UNIVERSITY (RSU)?
European Degree that is fully recognized in
- all European Union member states and the European Economic Zone (Norway and Switzerland). No diploma validation exams are required;
- Sri Lanka; (*For more information visit the Sri Lanka Medical Council)
- many non-European countries, including Australia, Canada, the United States, India and others.
Leading provider of medical education in north-east Europe
- RSU celebrates its 65th anniversary as an institution of higher learning this year
- 25 years of experience in educating international students, including Sri Lankan nationals
- Multicultural student body representing 41 countries
- 21% of our full-time students come from abroad
- Western style learning environment with the most current medical technologies and training facilities
- Study programs that balance in-depth theoretical knowledge with patient-centered clinical training
- Personalized approach and small study groups with the teacher-student ratio of 1:10
- Programs of study taught entirely in English
- Two in-takes in September and February
- Opportunities to spend a semester or a year at one of our many European partner institutions through the Erasmus+ mobility program
- Guaranteed tuition discounts up to 20% for Sri Lankan nationals
- Part-time employment opportunities
- Most student-friendly tuition fees and living cost within the European Union
Student life outside the University
- Living in the culturally and historically rich capital city of Riga that was the European Cultural Capital in 2014
- Outstanding public transportation connecting the University with all parts of the city
- Assistance with housing, including guaranteed rooms at the University’s student hostel
- Opportunities for participation in Asian Student Society and many other interest groups
- Visa-free travel within the Schengen zone
- Good flight connections to many European capitals, South Asia and other parts of the world